Intergenerational Story Exchanges
‘Tell Your Story’ is an intergenerational community integration project that connects teenagers with older people in their community through the Narrative 4 story exchange. Funded by The American Ireland Funds, JP McManus Benevolent Fund and Regeneron, the project aims to work with over 200 participants in the 2017 / 2018 school year. We are collaborating with secondary schools in Limerick, St Ita’s ,St Catherine’s Nursing Homes and older people all across Limerick to make this happen.
The project aims to:
- Break down barriers between generations, primarily teenagers and older persons’ groups in Limerick city and county
- Shatter stereotypes, labelling, preconceptions, misconceptions and judgements between these two groups. “Aged,” “old,” “pensioners” and “new generations!”
- Begin a dialogue between generations in the absence of stereotypes and socially constructed barriers. Learn the importance of the cultural, historic and personal values of oral storytelling.
- Bridge this gap of experience and youth and create mutual mentoring, an informed mutual respect and friendship.
- Create an empathetic, close-knit Limerick community.